Best Real Estate Lawyers Mississauga


Spousal sponsorship: Husband, Wife, Common-law partner

Every year thousands of people apply to Canada under this category. All applications for both Inland and Outland sponsorship are submitted online and the average processing time are between 8-12 months depending on the visa office responsible for processing the application. Relationship must be genuine and not entered into primarily for the purpose of obtaining Permanent Residence

Eligibility to be a Sponsor:

  • Must be a Canadian Citizen, or Permanent Resident (living in Canada)
  • Must be 18 years of age or older
  • Must not themselves have been sponsored to Canada as a spouse within the last 5 years
  • Must not be in prison, bankrupt or if a Permanent Resident cannot be under a removal order or charged with a serious offence

Eligibility to be Sponsored:

  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • Not too closely related by blood to the Sponsor

Inland Sponsorship (Spouse or Common-Law in Canada Category)

The Applicant and the sponsor MUST live together at the time of applying during the process as their application will be processed within Canada. A sponsored Spouse, provided they have a valid status in Canada is eligible for an Open Work Permit. If refused, there is no right to appeal at the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD)

Outland Sponsorship

The Application is processed with the visa office in the sponsored spouse’s country of citizenship or where they are legally residing. A refusal can be appealed at the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD)

Conjugal Sponsorship

If you and your partner are in a committed relationship equal to that of a marriage for at least one year but you do not qualify as a spouse or a common-law partner and there are good reasons why you cannot live together then a sponsor can facilitate their conjugal partner for permanent resident status. These reasons may be religious, persecution or unsafe environments and had these reasons not been present, the couple would be in a spousal or common law relationship.

Eligibility to become a Conjugal Sponsor:

  • 18 years or age or older
  • Canadian citizen, or Permanent Resident
  • Live in Canada or will live in Canada once the person you are sponsoring becomes a permanent resident
  • Sign an undertaking with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration to provide financial support for your conjugal partner’s basic requirements and those of his or her dependent children

Parental Sponsorship in Canada

A Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident that is at least 18 years old can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada. You as a sponsor must make sure that when you are sponsoring a parent or grandparent, you can support them financially in order to prevent them from seeking social assistance from the government.

You and the sponsored relative will sign a sponsorship agreement which will show that you will provide any financial support for your relative, if necessary, which could be for a period of 3-10 years depending on their age and relationship to the sponsor.

Dependent Children and other Sponsorship

Canadians who have obtained the status for themselves can be reunited with their dependents abroad and facilitate their dependent for permanent resident status. You must validate the relationship to the dependent as well qualify as a sponsor for the dependent.

As a sponsor for a dependent, you must:

  • Be 18 years or older
  • Be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Fall within the category of sponsorship of the family class
  • Sign an undertaking with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada that you will provide financial support for your dependent children

Who is a dependent Child?

  • A son or daughter who is under the age of 19 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner
  • A son or daughter who is over the age of 19 but is financially dependent on his/her parents due to mental or physical condition

JSM Law offers Legal Services to clients across Mississauga, Brampton, Toronto, Oakville, Hamilton, Milton, Burlington, North York, Caledon, Vaughan, Markham, Scarborough, Downtown Toronto, Richmond Hill, Newmarket, King, Halton Hills, and Greater Toronto Area.

For Legal Services, Contact JSM Law - Law Firm in Mississauga, Ontario