Best Real Estate Lawyers Mississauga

Canadian Citizenship

Canada offers citizenship through naturalization and by birth in Canada.

Applicants are eligible to qualify for Canadian citizenship through naturalization provided that they have maintained the status of Permanent Resident for 3 years during the preceding 5 years in Canada.


  • Permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada
  • Physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the 5 years immediately before you apply
  • Have met any applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file income taxes for at least 3 years within the 5-year period
  • Must demonstrate adequate knowledge of English or French (if you are between 18-54 years old when you apply)
  • Must demonstrate knowledge of Canada and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship (if you are between 18-54 years old when you apply)
  • MUST NOT be under a removal order
  • MUST NOT be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds
  • CANNOT have any unfulfilled conditions related to their permanent resident status

Citizenship Refusal

If an application for Canadian citizenship is refused, the decision may be appealed to the Federal Court of Canada.

PR Card Renewal

As a permanent resident, a PR Card is a proof of status and needs to be kept valid in order to allow you entry in Canada if there comes a time when you need to exit Canada for any reason. The PR card is valid for 5 years. The PR card can only be renewed if you meet the residency requirement. In the event of an PR card being expired while outside of Canada, a travel document will be needed to re-enter Canada.

Loss of Permanent residence status is determined by an officer. If you have an expired PR card but want to enter Canada, you are still a permanent resident unless an officer makes that decision. However, applicants are still at risk of being exposed to uncomfortable questioning which may result in a loss of their Permanent Resident Status.

We can help renew your PR card by preparing strong Humanitarian and Compassionate Arguments for reasons such as Employment and Family Emergency and others.

Employment Reasons:

Certain situations arise for PR Card Holders who leave Canada as they were unable to find employment in Canada but are able to find employment outside of Canada. At JSM, we will prepare arguments for you and present your case in a manner that proves to the Canadian Government that your permanent residence is Canada and you have intentions of returning to Canada demonstrating ample ties to Canada.

Family Emergency:

Sometimes PR Card Holders leave Canada as their family members require immediate care and attention which may take several years and in that time period, the PR Card expires and their residency requirements are not met. We, at JSM will work around the clock to build strong arguments supported with case law to prove that due to unforeseen circumstances, you were forced to leave Canada but have intentions of returning to Canada.


JSM Law offers Legal Services to clients across Mississauga, Brampton, Toronto, Oakville, Hamilton, Milton, Burlington, North York, Caledon, Vaughan, Markham, Scarborough, Downtown Toronto, Richmond Hill, Newmarket, King, Halton Hills, and Greater Toronto Area.

For Legal Services, Contact JSM Law - Law Firm in Mississauga, Ontario