Ontario Law And Procedure During The COVID-19 Pandemic: What You Need To Know!
Due to the unfortunate outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the world has changed in many ways. In Ontario, besides the temporary shutdown of various services and facilities, we have also seen court closures, changes to legal procedures, and the implementation of multiple laws. These changes have come about to curb personal interactions and, in turn, the spread of the devastating Coronavirus.
Unfortunately, the closure of different aspects of the legal system means that various legal matters may be on hold for a while before they are settled. This is likely to impact the financial status and legal requirements of people across Ontario. To ensure people do not suffer, certain services are still available to the public or have been modified with the use of online interactions to reduce personal contact.
To avoid panic and ensure you are aware of what services are available to you, JSM Law has listed some of the services that will be available during this time and those that will remain closed.
1. The Superior Court of Justice is closed in Ontario, for all matters except emergency motions, and in custody matters.
2. The Ministry of the Attorney General of Ontario has suspended all limitation periods, including all procedural limitation periods.
3. The services of lawyers, paralegals, and law firms have been deemed necessary by the Government of Ontario. A full list of these and other essential services can be found on the Service Ontario website.
4. Most banks will also remain open. However, before you go to one, please check Google or the bank’s website for the amended working hours and other instructions.
5. Mortgage brokers, realtors, and real estate brokerages have been deemed essential services too, so they should be open to tend to your needs.
6. Clients who have purchased or sold homes, or have an upcoming refinance closing can rest assured that legal offices are working diligently to ensure that the closings are completed on schedule.
7. On the other hand, court reporting services are suspended. But some providers are still offering services for mediations, and examinations via video or teleconference.
8. Our office is working hard to either reschedule mediations, and examinations, or have them held as scheduled via video, or teleconference.
9. Our website chat feature remains available for any clients, or prospective clients looking for immediate assistance.
What should you do?
Given the circumstances we are in today, it is vital to stay home and self-isolate until further notice from the authorities. If you need to step outside, make sure you do only if you absolutely must. Check with your service providers if they can help you over the phone or via email.
In the event you require assistance for any legal matters, you can reach out to the experts at JSM Law. Please send your questions by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please include your name, phone number, and a brief description of your matter. Once we receive your email, a staff member shall contact you as soon as possible.
At JSM Law, we are a team of civil litigation lawyers in The Greater Toronto Area, and we are knowledgeable, skilled, and capable. As legal experts, we aim to provide affordable legal services to match the circumstances of each client. Similarly, we see ourselves as more than legal practitioners and are focused on helping our clients accomplish their objectives.