IRCC Latest Policy Allows Foreign Workers To Study Without Authorization

Author: JSM LAW | | Categories: , , Law Firm

Real Estate Lawyers in Mississauga Ontario

The Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC), Honourable Sean Fraser, has announced a new temporary policy that will benefit foreign workers in Canada.

This new policy will allow foreign workers who are on a work permit in Canada to enroll in educational programs that are longer than six months without needing to apply for a study permit. This policy will be effective from June 27, 2023, till June 27, 2026.

Prior to this new policy, work permit holders were required to obtain a study permit if they wished to enroll into an educational course that was longer than six months. Foreign workers contribute extensively to Canada’s GDP. However, they were previously restricted to the kinds of education programs they could enroll in to pursue their dreams. This new policy will help improve employment and educational options for foreign nationals as well as give them better chances of settling and making Canada their permanent home. This is valid only as long as their work permit are in effect. If a foreign worker wishes to continue their education beyond the time allowed by their work permit, they will need to apply for a study permit.

The policy will give foreign nationals who can improve their credentials and raise their CRS scores when applying for Canadian Express Entry, which has become quite competitive in recent years. Contact JSM Law now at (905) 499-9896 for consultation with one of our lawyers, who can devise a pathway suitable specifically for you.